This unassuming 552 square foot residence is a remarkable early example of Usonian style architecture - an innovative residential style conceived by world-renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright. The Peters-Margadant House was designed and built in 1934 by 22-year-old architect William Wesley “Wes” Peters, an Evansville native and Frank Lloyd Wright’s first student-apprentice. Wes would soon marry Svetlana, Wright's adopted daugher, and go on to become Mr. Wright's chief engineer and right-hand-man, taking over Wright's architectural practice (then called Taliesin Associated Architects) upon his death in 1959 - a role Wes held until his death in 1991.
The life and career of architect William Wesley Peters was remarkable. He led or assisted in the structural engineering of many landmarks Frank Lloyd Wright buildings such as Fallingwater, Johnson Wax, and the Guggenheim Museum, in addition to many buildings attributed to Taliesin Associated Architects including Kaden Tower, Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall and the Pearl Palace in Iran. For decades he faithfully practiced the principles of Wright's "organic" architecture. In 2014 Indiana Landmarks led a major effort to relocate and restore the Peters-Margedant House as educational resource for students, architecture enthusiasts, and the general public.
University of Evansville
Friends of Peters-Margedant House
Architectural Renovators, General Contractor
Matt Wagner Design
Jordan Barclay Photography
Todd Isaac Photography